Welcome to another edition of my painting blog. For the painting challenge over on druchii.net I tried to complete two Dread Reapers in February. While the second one’s crew is not quite finished, the first one is ready for presentation here.
I recently acquired a daylight lamp, which have to say is fantastic during painting. I have to thank UK for the tip. Of course he uses two. Cannot have too much light I guess.
For this Dread Reaper I wanted to do the following things:
- Solidify my army theme of black, grey, and white, with a touch of dark red
- Do more layering than the heavy drybrushing I have done until now
- Use some of the recipes displayed on the Games Workshop „Citadel Painting System“ poster
So for the crew I used:
- Abaddon Black, Eshin Grey, Nuln Oil and Dawnstone to do the black robes.
- Celestial Grey, Nuln Oil and Praxetti White for the white robes (still some drybrushing)
- Mephiston Red mixed with Black and then Evil Sun Scarlet for the red parts.
The metal parts were done like before, with Leadbelcher as base and then highlighted with Ironbreaker and Runefang Steel. Afterwards I wanted to have more red on the models and decided to create a red wash and use it on the chainmail parts.
The reaper itself got primed with black on the wooden parts and white on the metal parts. The wood then received highlights only on the edges with Eshin Grey, Dawnstone and White Scar. The metal parts were washed with Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade (the heads). The bolts then highlighted with Runefang Steel and Hashut Copper. For the red parts, I once again watered down some red and applied carefully.
As this Dread Reaper will follow my basic colour scheme more closely than the others I am planning to paint, this one is called the Bleak Spear